Your Guide to Sedation (Nitrous) Dentistry in Rochester, NY
Look no further than our dental practice for safe and effective dental care in a welcoming environment. Contact us today at 585-227-4900 to request an appointment.
Many adults and children experience dental anxiety, making it challenging to visit the dentist. However, dental exams are essential, and receiving necessary dental procedures is critical to maintaining good oral health. That’s where sedation dentistry can help.
Adina Family Dental Care is a premier dental office that practices sedation (nitrous) dentistry in Rochester, NY. Our dentists and staff have ample experience treating patients of all ages using various levels of sedation. Our mission is to ensure that every patient receives the dental care they need with minimal discomfort.
What Is Sedation Dentistry and Why Is It Important?
Adina Family Dental Care wants to make patients as comfortable as possible during treatment, which is why sedation dentistry is sometimes necessary. In addition, sedation is important for people who experience anxiety before visiting the dentist.
Sedation dentistry is the process of using medications or drugs to calm a patient before a long or potentially uncomfortable dental procedure. Dentists and staff should have plenty of sedation dentistry experience and the required qualifications to administer sedation drugs and anesthesia.
Types of Sedation for a Dental Procedure
Whether you have a dental phobia, sensitive teeth, or jaw pain, you can benefit from sedation dentistry. There are several ways dental professionals administer calming sedatives, including:
- Oral sedation: The dentist will give you a pill before your treatment to make you drowsy or allow you to fall asleep, depending on the dose.
- IV (intravenous) sedation: IV sedation is best for lengthy or significantly uncomfortable procedures that require a steady flow of sedatives. You may be wholly unconscious or barely awake.
- Nitrous oxide sedation: Nitrous oxide, commonly called laughing gas, keeps you conscious and incredibly calm for as long as you inhale it.
The Effects of Nitrous Oxide
At Adina Family Dental Care, we prefer nitrous oxide sedation for our patients. It’s a safe, mild sedative that effectively manages pain and feelings of anxiety in patients of all ages.
The odorless and colorless gas combines with oxygen and flows through a mask that a dental professional fits gently over your nose. We’ll instruct you to breathe normally, and you will feel the effects within minutes.
Though nitrous oxide is called “laughing gas,” you probably won’t laugh during your dental treatment at our office. The purpose of the gas is to slow your nervous system down, resulting in fewer inhibitions. So you might giggle, but you’ll primarily feel comfortable and calm.
Level of Sedation in Dental Patients
Sedation dentistry is safe for nearly any patient. However, there are various levels of sedation that dentists use for patients depending on their comfort level and the dental procedure. The levels include:
- Minimal sedation: The dentist will administer a conscious sedative, meaning the patient is awake and relaxed but cannot feel pain.
- Moderate sedation: The patient is conscious enough to speak but not conscious enough to use a clear, intelligible tone or remember the procedure.
- Deep sedation: This level puts the patient to sleep, but the dentist can awaken them with relative ease.
- General anesthesia: With this level of sedation, the patient is unconscious and cannot awaken quickly.
Who Are Good Candidates for Sedation (Nitrous) Dentistry in Rochester, NY?
Anyone who needs dental treatment but experiences anxiety, discomfort, or fear is a good candidate for nitrous oxide sedation. For example, adults with unpleasant childhood dental experiences and children who are too uncomfortable to relax in the dentist’s chair can benefit from sedation dentistry.
If you are unsure if sedation dentistry is right for you, consider whether you have:
- Fear of dentists or dental treatment
- Tooth sensitivity
- High numbing medication tolerance
- A sensitive gag reflex
- Temporomandibular joint disorder
- Muscle, joint, or bone discomfort
If any of those apply to you, sedation dentistry may be the best option to get the dental care you require. Adina Family Dental Care cares about your needs and comfort. Therefore, we will listen to your concerns and explain your sedation options before performing any procedure that could cause discomfort.
Reliable Sedation (Nitrous) Dentistry in Rochester, NY
Some dental procedures require patients to be comfortable and relaxed, which is why Adina Family Dental Care provides sedation dentistry using nitrous oxide or laughing gas. We strive to perform dental treatments effectively and quickly with minimal discomfort. If you need a dental procedure that may require sedation, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us at 585-227-4900.